National Chess Month, November 2018:
(1) The Getting Started page is especially teachers and students playing chess for the very first time. There are easy to play mini-games for classes. With a free draw for a number of prizes, including chess equipment and a draw for €500. The page also contains a (click to download) Teachers-Booklet which gives ideas and an activity plan to use games for education.
(2) NCM will run for November (2018) and to participate schools can do one chess acitvity any day within November. All interested teachers can apply (by email .. firstname.lastname@example.org ) for grants of €200 for the first 10 to arrange a chess Jamboree.
(3) A number of Education centers will be hosting Teacher Training Workshops, contact us to register your interest and we’ll organise a workshop in your area. In these courses we will demonstrate some mini-games and the Jamboree format.
(4) For schools with a chess club and chess playing teacher we’ve add a Going Further page. On this page we will add content for students wishing to develop their thinking skills. In connection with this we are offering up to 50 school classes FREE membership of Chessossity.com for their students. This includes easy to use tournament software for running your own leagues.
(5) On the final page there are some links to equipment suppliers and details of National chess Organisations in Ireland. There are also some free resources for Teachers and Students.
Moves for Life :
A project with the aim of introducing chess as an educational tool to as many children as possible in Ireland, principally through supporting teachers. The idea is that children be taught mini-games based on chess and that social-emotional and intellectual skills are the prime focus. While some children individually and some schools may eventually adopt chess as a competitive hobby, Moves For Life seeks to encourage all to play and have fun, and enables teachers to use chess to further thinking / social skills.