Monster chess Jamborees !
Will be held in Dublin and around the country for the first time this year ! These will involve participation and funn for full school classes.
Jamborees last for just 60-90 minutes, happen during the school day, and involve 5 or 6 quick games. Focus on praise and reward good social behaviours and sporting play.
National Chess Month 2019 will feature chess jamborees .. for teaches to run themselves with their own class (or with another class from their school). To support teaches using chess for the first time ther is teacher training evening at Edu Ctrs in October and .. 14 beginner games on the getting started page. The emphasis is on fun and participation.
To run a Jamboree is simple :
- Players are given a score card. The card clearly states the rules and everything they’ll be doing during and after the games. The organiser can read out the details and confirm everyone knows whats happening.
- Students then keep a record of their game results using their own Score Card and the organiser notifies them when each game is over by saying .. “Count your Captures ” , players note the result on their Score Cards, then the organiser announces “Next Game ” and students move to their new place and face a new opponent.
- Click to download player Score-Cards. After downloading you can (if you want to) change the type of game from a full game to one of the mini-games (e.g. pawn Wars) depending on the level of your players.
- A ” trial Jamboree ” can be practiced as an in class event, then as an in school event, and finally when you are ready to a full inter-schools event.
- With a four class jamboree students would play 2 players from each class giving them a total of 6 games.