Summer courses organised by ficheall.ie
Dear teachers and principals,
Practice chess as your summer course this July and earn 3 EPV days!
Chess for Social Skills Summer Course 2021
We are pleased to inform you that a chess summer course is available this July. The course, Chess for Social Skills, is sanctioned by the DES for 3 EPV days.
- The course will be delivered online through Zoom and the Lichess.org chess platform with the majority of the 20-hour course being spent playing chess and chess mini-games with other interested teachers and principals.
- The course will be hosted over five days on Thurs 1st July, Fri 2nd July, Mon 5th July, Tues 6th July and Wed 7th July from 9.30am to 2pm similar to a traditional face-to-face course.
- All courses are delivered by practicing primary school teachers and principals with experience of leading chess in their school through the Ficheall network of primary school teachers promoting chess.
- The course will include a series of chess mini games to teach chess which also addresses explicit objectives of the SPHE curriculum from 1st to 6th class.
- The course will also deal with the practicalities of organising chess leagues and tournaments in schools.
- Crucially, the course will give teachers hours of chess practice and will even include a fun team-based chess tournament among all teachers on Day 5 of the course.
- Each course has a limit of 16 participants to ensure more individual support.
- The course is available through 22 education centres with 360 places available but are filling up fast!
- It’s best to book with your local education centre so that you can network with other interested teachers in your region but, as the course is online, teachers and principals are welcome to sign up for any course they wish.
For more information on the course and links to register, click on the link below:Chess for Social Skills Summer Course 2021