When: The final is on Thursday the 13th of May @ 6.30pm. In advance of the grand final there will be 3 practice events on April 22nd, 29th and on May 6th. Students will be put into sections depending on their chess level. All students should play in the practice events to ensure that they get matched against players of similar ability.
Here are the 2021 School Events, with rating bands for National School players:
- National schoools – Expert players with a lichess.org rating of 1600 or higher.
- National schoools – Intermediate players with a rating over 1200 up to a rating of 1599.
- National schoools – Novice and beginner players rated 1199 or lower.
- Secondary Schools – all players in one section.
Prizes fund of €1,500.
- First place – 10 chess sets AND 5 chess timers for their school, All-Ireland Gold medal.
- Second place – 10 chess sets OR 5 chess timers for their school, All-Ireland Silver medal.
- Third place – 5 chess sets OR 3 chess timers for their school All-Ireland Bronze medal.
For the schools with the highest number of participating students there will be a prize of 10 chess sets or 5 chess timers for your school chess club.
Grading Prizes: There will be multiple prize winners in each section. These will be Medal prizes. Here’s an example of the prizes for the Novice section:
- Rating band 1: players rated under 900.
- Rating band 2: players rated between 900 and 1000.
- Rating band 3: players rated between 1001 and 1100.